I am currently a lecturer @ School of Computer Science and Engineering , The University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia. I am ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) Fellow between 2016-2018 (awarded in 2015).
My research interest lies in Data Mining and Machine Learning applications with the focuses on Internet of Things Analytics, recommender systems, human activity recognition and Brain Computer Interface. Visit my Youtube Channel for taking a closer look at my research.
Before I joined UNSW in 2016, I was a lecturer and an ARC reseach associate at The University of Adelaide (UoA). I received my PhD degree and Master degree both from UoA in 2014 and 2010, respectively, and my Bachelor degree from Shandong University (SDU). I spent about 6 years as a professional telecommunications engineer in Jinan Branch, ChinaUnicom, as well as studied Master in Telecommunication and Electronical Engineering from Nanjing University of Posts & Telecommunications (NUPT).
- Warm congratulations to my student, Kaixuan, on her IJCNN 2018 paper "Interpretable Parallel Recurrent Neural Networks with Convolutional Attentions for Multi-Modality Activity Modeling "!
- I successfully secured UNSW-Tsinghua University Collaborative Research Fund 2018 as Lead CI
- Warm congratulations to my student, Dalin, on his PAKDD 2018 paper "Fuzzy Integral Optimization with Deep Q-Network for EEG-based Intention Recognition"!
- Two papers are accepted by PAKDD 2018
- Warm congratulations to my student, Xiang, on his Percom 2018 paper "Converting Your Thougts to Texts: Enabling Brain Typing via Deep Feature Learning of EEG Signals"!
- A brain typing research prototype in Percom2018 paper is available now. Check it out from Youtube Channel
- I am the PC member for IJCAI 2018.
- Warm congratulations to my student, Dalin, on his AAAI-18 paper ". Cascade and Parallel Convolutional Recurrent Neural Networks on EEG-based Intention Recognition for Brain Computer Interface"!
- Three papers are accepted by AAAI 2018
- Twitter can be used for quick response to crisis? Yes. Check it out from Youtube Channel
- Our paper about location recommendation is accepted by TOIT.
- Our paper about smart homes and Internet of Things is accepted by Computing.
- Three papers are accepted by Mobiquitous 2017. Congratulations to Xiang Zhang!
- Two papers are accepted by ICONIP 2017. Congratulations to Xiang Zhang and Shuai Zhang!
- I am the PC member for AAAI 2018.
- Our paper is accepted by CUSR.
- I am the PC member for CIKM 2017.
- Congratulations to Shuai Zhang for winning ACM SIGIR 2017 Travel Grant!
- Our paper is accepted as regular paper by IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Congratulations to Shuai Zhang for his paper accepted in SIGIR 2017!
- Our paper is accepted as regular paper by WWWJ.
- I am the PC Co-Chair for IEEE BigDataSE 2017.
- I am the Demo and Poster Chair for MobiQuitous 2017.
- I am the PC member for ICWS 2017.
- Our paper is accepted as regular paper by TKDD.
- Our paper is accepted as regular paper by WWWJ.
- Our paper is accepted as regular paper by TIST.
- Our paper is accepted as regular paper by TKDE.
- I am the PC member for AAAI-17.
- One PhD scholarship is open now! Deadline is 18 August.
- Our papers are accepted as full papers by CIKM 2016.
- Our papers is accepted as a full paper by ICSOC 2016.
- Fresh research demo regarding sentiment analysis using smart phone is up, check it out from Youtube Channel
- Our paper is accepted as a full paper by ECML-PKDD 2016.
- Our paper is accepted as a full paper by Ubicomp 2016.
- I am the PC member for International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) 2016.
- I successfully secured Pilot Competitive Evaluation Research Agreement Program 2016.
- I am the Program Co-Chair for The Australasian Web Conference (AWC 2017).
I am continuously looking for highly motivated and focused students with strong background in Computer Science/Engineering/Mathematics. PhD scholarships are available with topics in data mining, Internet/Web of Things and Cyber-Physical Systems analytics and ambient intelligence. Sending me emails if you are interested.
Opportunities for PhD Students
I am actively looking for the students (domestic and international) who want to do a PhD in areas of data mining, Internet of Things, mobile sensing and activity recognition etc. Please email me if you are interested in doing your PhD under my supervision.
The information about international and domestic scholarships provided by the university can be found at https://research.unsw.edu.au/postgraduate-research-scholarships
The Scholarships by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) for applicants from China can be found at: https://research.unsw.edu.au/china-scholarship-council
Opportunities for Honors/Masters/Bachelor Students@UNSW
If you are interested in what I am doing (exploring the fascinating projects), feel free to drop by my office or send me emails anytime.